Warren Campbell, Chief of Planning, 970-479-2148
Joe Batcheller, Planner, 970-479-2440
Jonathan Spence, Planner, 970-479-2321
David Rhoades, Development Review Coordinator, 970-479-2128
The Planning Team is responsible for the town's physical and socioeconomic planning, including development of plans and policies, land use, zoning and environmental review. During the development review process, the team ensures proposed development directs the future of the community toward appropriate physical and economic growth compatible with our natural environment. A strong community engagement component is included in all planning efforts to ensure that the community is informed and involved in all decision-making processes.
- Review current planning applications
- Coordinate the development review process
- Develop long-range master plans
- Provide technical assistance and planning information to Town departments, the Town Council, Planning and Environmental Commission and Design Review Board
- Implement the Sign, Zoning and Subdivision Regulations and the Development Standards Handbook
- Vail Village Character Preservation Initiative
On the eve of Vail's 50th anniversary the Town Council and the community have been reflecting on Vail's successes. November 20, 2012, the Town Council requested the Vail Village character preservation initiative identify aspects of the physical character (buildings, landmarks and spaces) of Vail Village. Recent growth in Vail Village, both in size and popularity, has introduced renewed pressures for development, which some feel threatens the unique qualities from which Vail Village's success is derived.
This reflection and desire to maintain Vail's unique character is not new. In August 1973 the Vail Plan was adopted and it identified the need "..to grow with wisdom...There is a tremendous sense of pride in many of the Vail residents, and awareness that what was once unique can only partially be recaptured but that there is the possibility of creating a recreationally-based community of individuality, beauty and pleasure that can be unique..."
On April 22, staff met with the Planning and Environmental Commission at their public hearing. The goal of the hearing was to identify the spaces and features that make Vail Village special. Spaces discussed included: the Covered Bridge, Gorsuch Clock Tower, public plazas, pedestrian corridors, decks and patios that have special importance in the unique character of Vail Village.
PEC hearings will include review of the Vail Village Urban Design Guide Plan, specifically where they are applicable today and where it is appropriate to apply them in the future, as well as specific areas of concern or deficiency in the Vail Village Urban Design Guide Plan. The discussions will also include non-conforming buildings and potentially developing options for future redevelopment of these buildings, in ways that maintain or enhance the area’s character.
The Vail Town Council received a progress update at their March 19 meeting.
At the completion of the study-phase a compilation of features that define or contribute to the character of Vail Village will be generated. The Vail Village character preservation initiative will ensure future changes are consistent with the established character and make positive contributions to the quality of the experience.
- 2013 Draft Ford Park Management Plan
- Ford Park Improvements
Documents available for download
- Ford Park Management Plan
- Ford Park Management Plan - 2012 Update
- Ford Park Master Plan Document - 2013
- Ford Park Master Plan Document Appendix - 2013
- Ford Park & Donovan Park Master Plan
- Lionshead Redevelopment Master Plan
- Lionshead Redevelopment Master Plan Appendices
- Lionshead Redevelopment Master Plan Maps
- Recommended Plant List for the Town of Vail
- Town of Vail Land Use Plan (includes Chamonix Master Plan)
- Town of Vail Comprehensive Open Lands Plan
- Vail 20/20 Strategic Action Plan
- Vail Streetscape Master Plan
- Vail Streetscape Master Plan Addendum
- Vail Town Code
- Vail Village Master Plan
- Vail Village Urban Design Guide and Design Considerations
- Vail Transportation Master Plans
Click here to download the following Town of Vail maps
Commercial Core Area and Fee-in-Lieu Parking Map
Construction Overview Map
Geologically Sensitive Areas
Land Use Map
Open Space Map
Stream Setback Map
Documents and map products available by contacting the Department of Community Development:
- Town of Vail Address Map
- Town of Vail Housing Needs Assessment