Contact: Vail Fire Department, 970-479-2250
The Vail Fire Department is encouraging residents and homeowners to plan ahead to protect homes from the threat of wildfires. Fire prevention tips include:
- Thinning and pruning trees and brush and removing trash and debris around the home.
- Cutting grass and weeds within 10 feet of structures, propane tanks and utilities.
- Removing trees growing through porches, decks or roofs.
- Keeping roof and rain gutters clear of pine needles, leaves and debris.
- Removing tree branches that overhang within 15 feet of chimney and roof.
- Stacking firewood uphill at least 30 feet away from home.
- Utilizing non-combustible roofing materials.
- Making sure foundation, eaves and soffit vents have screens.
- Checking chimney spark arrester, which should be a half-inch screen.
- Clearing vegetation within three feet of fire hydrants.
- Making sure you have a garden hose, shovel and fire extinguisher nearby.
- Posting reflective address numbers so they’re visible from streets or roads and ensuring your driveway has adequate width (20 ft.) and height (15 ft.) for clearance of emergency vehicles.
- Maintaining an irrigated greenbelt near your home using grass, flowers, ornamental shrubs, rock gardens or xeroscapes.
Current Eagle County fire restrictions: