At approximately 9 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 1, Vail Fire and Emergency Services responded to a reported structure fire at 3226 Katsos Ranch Road in Vail's Booth Falls neighborhood. The first arriving unit reported smoke in the east side of the two-story duplex. Fire personnel quickly searched both sides of the duplex and evacuated occupants from the west side and confirmed occupants on the east side were safely out of the home.
Firefighters contained the fire within 15 minutes of arrival. The fire was dispatched as a first alarm structure fire which included three fire engines, one ladder truck, one ambulance and one command officer. Assisting agencies included Eagle River Fire Protection District, Eagle County Health Services District, Vail Police and Town of Vail Public Works.
The fire is currently under investigation by the fire marshal and damage is estimated to be $15,000. No injuries were reported and quick actions by an occupant to call 911 and use a home fire extinguisher are credited with keeping damage to a minimum. Icy roads and snow covering a nearby fire hydrant challenged firefighters in their efforts, but did not cause delay in controlling the fire.
This morning’s fire is a reminder of the importance in assuring every home has functioning smoke detectors. Vail Fire is also reminding homeowners to help keep hydrants located near their property cleared from snow. A minimum of three feet around the outside of the hydrant is recommended. Anyone needing assistance in removing snow from a hydrant or have questions about smoke detectors is encouraged to contact Fire Marshal Mike Vaughan
Contact: Chief Mark Novak
Vail Fire & Emergency Services