The East Vail Fire Station renovation has been recognized with an Award of Merit for 2017 by the Engineering News-Record, a weekly publication that provides news related to the construction industry. Station 1, located at 4116 Columbine Drive, was originally constructed in 1981. In 2016, a $4.1 million renovation project was undertaken and completed in March 2017. The project consisted of the following improvements:
- The addition of one employee housing unit
- The addition of 1,700 square feet of new space; the additional space provides much needed storage as well as enlarged apparatus bays to better accommodate the fire apparatus
- Installation of an emergency generator capable of maintaining the fire station in a fully operational condition during power outages
- Use of Wildland Urban Interface compliant ignition resistant materials on the exterior of the building
- Landscaping which incorporates Wildland Urban Interface best practices
- Installation of a storm water treatment system
- Replacement of all electrical, plumbing and mechanical systems
In evaluating the Station 1 renovation, the judging team recognized the project for its storm water quality improvements, innovative use of space, and sequencing the construction so as to allow continued fire department operations throughout the nine-month remodel.
Designed by Pierce Architects, the general contractor for the renovation was MW Golden Constructors. In addition, 36 subcontractors contributed to the remodel.
Fire Chief Mark Novak says the configuration of the station allows the firefighters of Vail Fire and Emergency Services to maintain a high level of service to the community.
With this latest recognition, all three of Vail’s fire stations have received awards for renovation, construction and design. Station 2 at Main Vail was the recipient of a design award from the Fire Industry Equipment Research Organization in 2014. Station 3 in West Vail was awarded the Station Style Silver Award by Fire Chief Magazine in 2011.
For details on the Station 1 award, click here.