Housing lottery applications for the Town of Vail's master purchaser list are now available on the town’s web site or from the Community Development Department, 75 S. Frontage Road. The list will be in effect for one year and used when any existing town-facilitated housing units, such as Vail Commons, Red Sandstone Creek, North Trail Townhomes and Arosa Drive Duplex become available for resale. Applicants will be placed into tiers based on the number of years working and living in Eagle County and resale units will be awarded to the top person on the list. Priority will be given to those living and or working in Vail. Currently none of the 82 qualifying units are available for purchase.
Application packets for the housing lottery are due by noon June 1. A lottery is scheduled for 5 p.m. on July 13 and applicants or an applicant’s representative must be present to be eligible for the drawing. The priority list will then be used for all housing units that are resold from July 14, 2017 through July 14, 2018.
Applicants for the 2017 housing lottery must meet the following basic eligibility requirements to qualify:
- applicants must currently own no other residential real estate in Eagle County, or it must be a price-appreciation capped employee housing unit;
- the residence must be used as an owner-occupied primary home;
- applicants must be employed at an Eagle County business and must work a minimum of 30 hours each week over the course of a year and continue working that same amount until the sale of the property or retirement;
- 75 percent of the applicant’s total income must be earned by working at an Eagle County business; and
- applicants must agree to a resale cap of three percent annual appreciation.
This is the 15th year for the master purchaser list, which was created to streamline purchases. The 2016-17 list includes 27 potential purchasers, one of whom was given an opportunity to purchase a unit. Those on the 2016-17 list must reapply to be placed on the 2017-18 list.
For more information, contact Vail Housing Coordinator Lynne Campbell at 970-479-2150 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.