At approximately 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 14, Vail Fire and Emergency Services responded to a reported structure fire at 2470 Chamonix Road in West Vail. The first arriving unit reported smoke in the attic area. Fire personnel quickly searched the fourplex and confirmed all occupants were out of the building.
Firefighters contained the fire within 20 minutes of arrival. The fire was dispatched as a first alarm structure fire which included three fire engines, two ladder trucks, one ambulance and two command officers. Assisting agencies included Vail Public Safety Communications, Eagle River Fire Protection District, Eagle County Paramedic District and Vail Police.
The fire was caused by a plumber repairing pipes with a torch. The fire spread from the wall where the plumber was working into the attic. Damage is estimated at $20,000 and was contained to the bathrooms of two adjoining units and the attic. No injuries were reported and quick actions by an occupant to call 911 are credited with keeping damage to a minimum.
Vail Fire and Emergency Services would like to remind renters to have renters’ insurance as property insurance typically does not cover damage to the renter’s belongings.
Contact: Chief Mark Novak
Vail Fire & Emergency Services