North America's Premier International Resort Community

Structure Fire Serves as a Reminder not to Place Furniture Too Close to Heat Sources

  • 5 December 2017
Structure Fire Serves as a Reminder not to Place Furniture Too Close to Heat Sources

At 11:23 p.m. Monday, Dec. 4, Vail Firefighters responded to the Brooktree Condos, 980 Vail View Drive, for a report of a structure fire. Firefighters arrived within 7 minutes to find smoke coming from a unit in the multi-family complex.

Vail Police officers, who arrived just before the Fire Department, made entry into the smoke-filled unit and reported no one inside. Firefighters entered the unit to find a burning couch next to an active gas fireplace. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and removed the couch from the unit. Additional fire crews checked adjoining units for smoke and fire and evacuated 12 occupants. The displaced occupants were sheltered in a town bus due to the cold temperatures for approximately one hour.

The fire was confined to the couch and no injuries were reported. All occupants returned to their units at approximately 12:20 a.m.

Assisting in the call was Eagle River Fire Protection District, Vail Police Department, Public Works/Transportation Department, Eagle County Paramedic Services and the Vail Public Safety Communication Center.

Vail Fire Captain Craig Davis stated that “without a quick call to the 911 center, this fire could have resulted in extensive damage to the building, displacing multiple occupants.”

This fire serves as a reminder that homeowners should provide adequate clearance between home furnishings and heat sources such as fireplaces and heaters. Homeowners needing assistance with home safety can contact Vail Fire and Emergency Services at 970-479-2250.

 

Print

Theme picker