Town of Vail buses will transition to summer service beginning Monday, May 29 which includes increased frequency on targeted outlying routes to encourage additional ridership. Residents and guests serviced by the East Vail, Golf Course and Sandstone routes are being challenged to leave their vehicles behind this summer and enjoy the convenience of more than double the service than in previous seasons during peak hours.
The goal is to reintroduce community members to the economical and environmental advantages of Vail’s free transit system which, in turn, will free up available spaces in the Vail Village and Lionshead parking structures. The increased frequency will make it easier to attend an event, run an errand, get to a job, go shopping or dining, or recreate. Racks on the outlying buses hold up to three bikes.
The expanded summer service will run to the end of September and will include 30- minute and hourly service as follows:
- East Vail route – every 30-minutes from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily
- Sandstone route – hourly from 6:40 a.m. to 7:40 p.m. daily
- Golf Course route - hourly from 8:10 a.m. to 5:10 p.m. daily with 30-minute transition service in the morning and less than two hour transition service in the evening. Two hour service after 6:40 p.m.
The expanded summer service is being promoted as a pilot program and will be discontinued if ridership numbers don’t meet expectations.
In West Vail, adjustments to the Red and Green routes will be taking place again this summer to accommodate construction of the I-70 Vail underpass.
- The West Vail Green route has been suspended to accommodate one-way rerouting of the North and South Frontage Roads during completion of the I-70 underpass construction. Bus stops at Pine Ridge, Vail Commons and Upper Buffehr Creek are closed.
- The West Vail Red route has doubled its frequency to 20 minute intervals to make up for the suspension of the West Vail Green route. Please check schedules online or at the bus stops.
In town buses will run every 7-to-10 minutes during the summer. The extension to Ford Park via Vail Valley Drive will run daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. - or longer if an event is taking place - May 29 through mid-November.
For a complete bus schedule, call 970-477-3456 or visit vailgov.com. Also, express bus service will be running between the Lionshead Transportation Center, Vail Transportation Center and Ford Park via South Frontage Road during peak event days throughout the summer. For details, visit vaileventparking.com.
Vail Transit is operated by the Town of Vail and is one of the largest free bus systems in the U.S., carrying more than 3.2 million passengers annually.