North America's Premier International Resort Community

Vail Fire Crews Respond to Townhome Fire

  • 26 December 2017

An unattended burning candle was the cause of a small fire at a townhome in Vail on Christmas night. Vail Fire & Emergency Services responded at around 6 p.m. to the report of a fire in a unit at Brooktree Townhomes, 980 Vail View Drive.

The fire was discovered when an onsite property manager heard an activated smoke detector and gained access to the unit to investigate. He reported that he was able to extinguish the fire by using a nearby hand-held fire extinguisher.

First arriving units determined the fire had not spread, although there was moderate smoke damage. Firefighters remained on scene until the unit had been ventilated.

Occupants of the unit were not home at the time and no injuries were reported. The occupants were not able to stay in the unit due to the smoke damage.

Vail Fire & Emergency Services wants to remind everyone to be careful when using candles.  Never leave them burning unattended and make sure they are on a solid surface away from any combustible materials such as curtains, furniture or papers.

If you have questions or need more information, please contact Fire Marshal Mike Vaughan at 970-479-2252

 

Print

Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message:
x