After the mountain closes for the season, the Town of Vail will begin hosting weekly construction meetings to review upcoming project schedules with an emphasis on construction activity in Vail Village and Lionshead. Neighbors, contractors and others impacted by the construction are invited to participate. The meetings will be held at 9 a.m. each Tuesday beginning April 21 on the ground level of the Welcome Center in Lionshead and will continue to June 23.
Among the most significant of the immediate construction impacts is a project that will require closure of the Covered Bridge in Vail Village while crews make repairs to the girders underneath and complete maintenance work. This project requires a full closure of the pedestrian bridge beginning April 20 with the work continuing for up to four weeks. During construction, the town will staff the operation of two golf carts from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily to assist pedestrians with the detour via the International Bridge on Willow Bridge Road. Additional signs will be used to help with access to businesses along Bridge Street that will remain open during the construction. All boaters, rafters and kayakers should check the clearance under the bridge prior to launching as scaffolding under the bridge may make the creek impassable. For details, contact John King, Town of Vail facilities manager, at 970-479-2170.
Also in Vail Village, the top deck of the parking structure will be closed from April 20 through May 4 for structural repair. This closure includes the taxi and shuttle lanes on the north side of the Welcome Center as well as the short-term parking area on the building’s east side. Oversize vehicle parking will be redirected to the top deck of the Lionshead parking structure. The outlying and regional bus lanes on the west side of the Transportation Center will remain in use. For details, contact John King at 970-479-2170.
Another project that begins April 20 is the reconstruction of the Gore Valley Trail recreation path between Lionshead and West Meadow Drive behind the Vail Public Library. This work incudes installation of two steel truss bridges, replacement of trail lighting, stream bank stabilization, realignment of a portion of the trail and removal and replacement of the existing asphalt paving. This work will last through June 26. Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured onto East Lionshead Circle. The Town of Vail contact is Gregg Barrie, 970-479-2337.
In Lionshead, mechanical repairs are scheduled to take place within the Lionshead Mall, Lionshead Place and Arrabelle Plaza beginning April 20. The work is scheduled to be completed in mid-June. Access to businesses will be maintained at all times. The contractor Is K.K. Mechanical. The Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-390-4677.
These construction sites are included in a list of other spring projects that allow contractors to work within the public right-of-way in Vail Village and Lionshead from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week between April 20 and June 26, with the exception of designated special event days. Work will be suspended June 4-7 during the GoPro Mountain Games and during the Vail Arts Festival in Lionshead, June 26-28, as well as on Sundays during the Vail Farmers’ Market and Art Show beginning June 21.
Other projects include:
- Wall Street Building remodel. Work includes adding 900 sq. ft. of commercial space and 330 sq. ft. of office space. Work begins April 20 with a completion date of mid-August. Wall Street will be impacted during the spring season for staging and construction access. Contractor is Rocky Mountain Construction Group, Mark Hallenbeck, 719-499-9248, or Mike Losey, 970-390-5943.Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-390-4677.
- Sebastian unit 507 reconstruction. Remodel consists of exterior work to the fifth floor and roof. Includes use of tower crane and staging within CDOT right-of-way. There will be a temporary, single lane and sidewalk closure on the South Frontage Road. Proposed start date is April 20. Contractor is Haselden Construction. Contact is Brian Hunt 720- 341-7930.
- Strata Redevelopment (formerly Lionshead Inn and Lionshead Annex), 705 W. Lionshead Circle. This project involves redevelopment of the Lionshead Inn. Construction began last spring and is scheduled for a fall 2016 completion. Impacts include various periodic single lane closures along the South Frontage Road and West Lionshead Circle throughout the duration of the project. Contractor is PCL Construction, Inc. Town of Vail contact is Leonard Sandoval, 970-479-2198.
- Lower Bench improvements. This project began in March and includes construction of a new restroom near the Ford Park playground, improvements to the playground, an extension of the water main and installation of concrete pavers on Betty Ford Way to the Manor Vail Covered Bridge. Pedestrian access is available to the Nature Center Bridge. West Betty Ford Way from the Frontage Road to the Manor Vail Bridge will remain closed through the duration of construction. The project is scheduled for completion in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Betty Ford Alpine Gardens Education Center. Construction continues on this $3.5 million project which includes a 3,000 square foot building and associated landscaping. Impacts include the closure of the west side of Betty Ford Way until mid June. The project is scheduled to be completed in late June. The contractor is RA Nelson. The Town of Vail contact is Todd Oppenheimer, 970-479-2161.
- Aspen Wireless/Crown Castle DAS wireless project. Final punch list items and landscaping repairs. Town of Vail contact is Ron Braden, 970-479-2145.
Lion’s Ridge Village Apartments construction (redevelopment of eastern half of Timber Ridge), 1265 N. Frontage Rd. W. This project involves the demolition of 102 two-bedroom units and the construction of 112 new one and two bedroom units. The first units will be available for occupancy in September and all units completed by the end of the year. Contractor is RA. Nelson. Town of Vail contact is George Ruther, 970-479-2145.
- Marriott Residences (formerly Roost Lodge) construction. Demo of building is complete, submittal of building permit underway. Contractor is Haselden Construction. Contact is Brian Hunt, 720-341-7930.
- I-70 Bridge improvements at Eagle-Vail. This Colorado Department of Transportation project began last August and consists of repairing and rehabilitating both the eastbound and westbound bridge structures located near mile marker 168.7, at the point where I-70 crosses over both the Eagle River and Highway 6. More specifically, work includes girder repair, bridge deck repair and repaving. Structures, Inc. of Englewood is the contractor for the $8.1 million project. It is scheduled for completion before July 2016. For additional information about this project, email I70EagleVail@gmail.com to be added to the electronic updates.
- Rockledge Road and mid-Forest Road water, sewer and drainage improvements. In a joint project with the Eagle River Water and Sanitation District, water, sewer and storm drain infrastructure will be upgraded on Rockledge Road and a portion of Forest Road. Equipment staging will occur about May 20; work is expected to begin about June 1 and finish in late November. If needed, work will resume after the 2015-16 ski season and be completed by July 2016. Eagle River Water and Sanitation District contact is John Cahill, 970-471-5357. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Town wide crack sealing project. Superior Asphalt has been selected by the town to perform maintenance crack sealing on town roads, bike paths and park/trailhead parking lots. The project will require single lane closures on roadways and short-term rolling closures of bike paths as crews install the crack seal material. The project is anticipated to take approximately three weeks, with completion by June 12. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Asphalt overlay project. An asphalt overlay is scheduled for Sunburst Drive, Elkhorn Drive and Vail Valley Drive (South Frontage Road to Ptarmigan Road). The project is anticipated to take approximately 10 days, with completion by June 12. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Bighorn Creek culvert replacement at Columbine Drive. The existing metal culvert containing Bighorn Creek under Columbine Drive is scheduled to be replaced with a concrete box culvert. Columbine Drive will be reduced to a single lane during construction. The Bighorn Creek Trailhead parking will be relocated to along the shoulder of Columbine Drive just south of I-70 to facilitate construction. The trail access will remain open to the public; however, parking will be prohibited at the trailhead. Construction is anticipated to begin mid-July with completion by end of October 2015. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- Slurry seal project. The town will be performing slurry seals on roads during the month of September. Roads scheduled to be slurry sealed this year are all town roads north of I-70 from Arosa Drive to Red Sandstone Road. Slurry seal creates a new wearing surface and seals the asphalt to prevent the damaging effects of water intrusion into the pavement. Single-lane traffic will be maintained at all times; however, motorists should expect delays. Traffic will be allowed to return to the new surface after it dries, typically after two hours. Town of Vail contact is Chad Salli, 970-479-2169.
- I-70 Vail chain station improvement project. This project is scheduled for bids in June 2015 with an anticipated construction start in August. This includes extending the existing chain station at mile marker 178 approximately 1,500 feet west. Eastbound I-70 will be widened, requiring a wall between I-70 and the South Frontage Road. In addition, existing chain station lighting will be replaced with the must current chain station LED light standard.
To view a map of the 2015 projects or for other construction related information, visit the town’s web site at vailgov.com. Weekly construction updates will again be distributed by the town. To sign up for the email updates, go to vailgov.com/town-services and click Vail Mail Newsletter under the Connect section.
For more information, contact Leonard Sandoval in the Public Works Department at 479-2198 or email email@example.com.